Sunday, September 03, 2006

Chivalry should not be a lesson in history

Chivalry is not dead. Though it certainly is on the endagered list.

For two days I've been trying to sort through what defines chivalry in this modern age. In days long past, a knight would pledge to be a maiden's champion, to show her honour and to defend her, should the need arise. She, in turn, would give him small token of her favour: a glove, a handkerchief, her heart... whatever, I suppose, was handy. But what of today? I've asked friends and family and found the examples not only sparse in numbers, but decidely less substantial in thought and sentiment than I was hoping for. I heard more of what men hadn't done, than what they had: not waiting for his girlfriend to walk through the front door of her house before driving off; not bothering to lighten the load by carrying packages and groceries in; not putting her reputation before his own.

There were exceptions: the gentleman that waited until the woman in line behind him was finished buying her groceries, he placed all the bags in her cart and walked away without ever saying a word, not requiring recognition for his deed; my own ex boyfriend, when we first started dating, took over my car payments so that I could give that money and then some to my family who was experiencing financial difficulties at the time... he did it because he knew it upset me to not be able to see my responsibilties through, both in paying for my car and in helping my family out; a friend that took my uttering of "I miss how it was in university, when we did such and such" online, and asked if I wanted to hang out. He arranged it so that he would pick me up at my parents (I no longer live there, but it fit with the theme of the night), we drove to the beaver dam, where we hiked and laughed and talked and took pictures. This was good enough for me, he listened to a small hope but made it better. When our walk was done, he surprised me with the makings of a fire and a marshmallow roast. We sat in the wavering light of the flames, the night still holding on to it's springtime chill. Besides his time and his unwavering friendship, he gave me what I most needed: to have my meaning be heard beneath my words, to have the effort of my desire not be held against me, to, in fact, be shown that I did have a champion in my life.

Take up the challenge, my good men. Your forefathers have slain all the dragons and we ask not for you to take up a broadsword and cut down our enemies; what we desire is far less dangerous. Have the courage to simply share a piece of yourself, no matter how small it may seem. It could mean the difference to whomever you offer it to.

1 comment:

gabbi said...

It's those little things that mean the most.