Friday, September 08, 2006

At least I remembered his smile

My life has been filled with people who have, in some way or another, changed it. Always for the better as change can only be a good thing, if you are in the right mind set. One such person made a re-appearance a few days ago. He walked up to me, at my store, and said hi. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize him... which he saw too. So, he smiled at my ignorance. Ah! Simon! A smile I could never forget, even should I live to be 103.

Simon and his beautiful fiance Michele were both introduced to me about two and a half years ago. A friend of a friend (Carol, of Gladys and Millie fame, for anyone keeping up with the characters that colour my life). We all went to a poetry reading at Steeps Tea House. Carol had a few other friends in attendance, I brought one. Well, a bit of caffeine, combined with the near manic personality I was sporting at the time, resulted in an unforgettable night. For everyone. I had been sitting with Simon and Michele and we three got a case of the giggles part way through the reading. I was doing my best to keep silent, which resulted in my vibrating and physically pushing myself into the two of them, while they tittered. My friend and the other friend of Carol's were mortified. They barely acknowledged our presence afterwards. It was pretty great!

It was an odd time for many of us in the group. We now refer to it as "the unhealthy" time: breakups and too many changes in friendships. We hung out and made ourselves a family of sorts. Perhaps I clung a bit. I can admit to being needy then. I tried to fill my time with these people as it was a good distraction to the sadness that seemed to be ever present. They made me laugh, feel loved and even pretty (something that I definately did not see in myself at the time). Simon was part of this. He always seemed to sense what I needed to hear and when I needed someone to flash a smile my way.

He also was there to bear witness to one of my stupidest (and apparently, most alluring) moments in history. And bless the boy, he never thought less of me... or at least he was gentleman enough to keep it to himself. This particular incident had to do with my birth control pill. I'd been single for like five months and wasn't doing anything fun with anyone, so when I was too late to pick up my prescription (the pharmacy closed well before I thought to go), I didn't think too much about it. It could definately wait a day with no harm done. Well, the next day, when I went to get my pill, they were out. Then I forgot to pick it up the next day. When I finally did get it on the fourth day, I popped four of the stinkin' pills before I gave myself a chance to think about it! I popped a whole gram of whatever little hormonal cocktail the pills contained. Never did I think of the warning "if you miss more than two days, start your pill cycle over". Nope, just opened my mouth and swallowed. Oops.

I started to feel a bit funky as the evening progressed. I got ready and met friends at Boston Pizza for a late, late supper. I sat next to Simon, who kept staring at me, telling me there was something different about me. He just couldn't put his finger on it. A little time passed and Simon was still adamant that I was giving off some sort of sexy vibe. Finally, I cracked and blurted out what I had done. Ahhh! I was giving off something... pheremones. Simon picked up on the higher level of estrogen in my body! My goodness, how could I not hold someone like that in the highest regard?

It was such a joy to see him again, as I've really seen little of him this past year and then some. We had a little visit, chatted about school, songs on my ipod, and just how radical Michele is (she broke some flasher-pervert's nose while at work!). He left me with another of his charming smiles and the warmth of friendship and shared history glowing in my heart.

3 comments:

gabbi said...

Tag, your it! Check my post if your game.

gabbi said...

Nothing better than getting back together with old friends!

Maybe that's Paris Hilton's trick. I mean people flock, for the life of me I don't know why, but they do! ;)

Shannon said...

hey gorgeous. i miss our sundays too. one of the many inane questions i was asked by my students was what my favourite day of the week was. obviously, i didn't need to give it a though. and you for sure know how to do sundays right. i miss you too!