Saturday, October 14, 2006

A few moments for Annie

I wrote a list of all I had to accomplish today. I did it when I was very tired last night and managed to get pretty much all that had been on my mind, at least written down (if not actually accomplished yet). I went to bed and left the list for the morning.

I woke up and dragged my butt around the house, finally settling down to start my work for the day. The list proved helpful, as it had individual tasks for that needed attention for work, mundane household chores, even a trip to the library to pick up some books I'd put on hold. I also found this:

#21. Spend a few minutes with Auntie Annie

When I read it, I smiled. I remembered writing it and was glad that I had the forethought to do so, as I'd obviously forgotten about it, already. My Auntie Annie is actually my cousin, second or third, I believe. She's also my Godmother. And I last saw her 23 years ago today.

I visited her in the hospital after a doctor's appointment of my own. The next morning, the phone rang and the news was delivered that she had passed away, having been fighting cancer for years.

Every year, I make it a point to give up a little of my time on October 14th for her. Every year, I do the same for the day after.

3 comments:

Ptilonyssus said...

I have an Aunt Ann, and she is dying of cancer, and has been for many years now. She doesn't have much time left at all, but she has hung in there for much longer than anyone expected.

Shannon said...

if the picture had been better, you would've been able to see that _all_ the kids were wearing garbage bags configured into some sort of 'costume'...the mass-consumerization machine has not yet hit Japan when it comes to the western holidays, but they do enjoy mimicking halloween so they just get creative. my favourite was the kids wearing capes (garbage bag, of course) and ties. i could _not_ figure out what they were until they turned around and their capes said 'halloween vampire' but then i couldn't figure out the tie. until i looked at their picture of a vampire. he was wearing a bowtie...i guess they figured a tie was a tie...

and if i weren't going as a princess, i think i'd go as one of those creepy statues...that's right! creepy!

gabbi said...

You always stun me with your sugary goodness!