Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Two Days

I've had two days off (well, with the exception of all the blasted phone calls from work) and trekked into Vancouver for both. I thought I should enjoy them, since it will be a good long time until I get another. I'm down two managers, two assistant managers and countless staff. In fact, I've lost even more staff this week... Wait, I am getting off topic, I was going to write about my days downtown.

I ventured into Vancouver yesterday, intent on seeing the Chinese garden that is nestled in the heart of downtown. It wasn't as great as I was hoping, but I did spend a leisurely hour in one of its rooms, reading and writing and listening to the noises within and beyond the walls of the scholars garden.

I decided to walk around Chinatown after that. I ate a rather large plate (well, half of it) of chow mein in a divey little restaurant and made my way back home.

Today, I went to the Vancouver Aquarium. I did manage to get a little lost downtown but still managed to magically find the right bus to take me to Stanley Park. I haven't been to Stanley Park since I was a very little girl, so little I don't remember being there... I have only old photographs to testify to it. There is something about being out among the trees, walking in the fresh air, that revives the soul. I found my way to the aquarium and spent a few hours befriending fish and turtles and otters. I even crossed paths with a random peacock when I making my way out of the park. I let myself be carried away by the wonder of seeing animals wandering about. I let myself smile at strangers, not because I have to, but because there was some joy in my being. I let myself be.

Dusk was starting to blanket the park and I decided to follow one of the paths (they had christmas lights throughout the park). Stanley Park in full daylight can be ominous, take most of the light out of it and it is enough to send chills up and down your spine. I walked as far in as I dared, remembering the tales of serial killers and abductions my parents told us about at an early age. I sat for a small while and listened to the wind in the trees. I felt the damp tree stump beneath my bottom and smelled pine and mint and a few other outdoorsy delights.

I found a small piece of myself these past two days.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I had just been about to harass you about not posting enough!!! I haven't even checked in the past few days b/c I kept checking before and there was just that 'pants' one...but it appears the harassing was unnecessary.

I'm glad you had a good time in Van. It does have it's moments...even I can admit that and you know my bitterness towards that place. Also, I'm jealous that you were so close to so many people I miss and I won't be there for months.

But alas, I'm so happy that you found a little peace amongst the corpses of Vancouver ;o)

xoxo
Bun