Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Cheese Update


My mother is not as innocent as she seems, she does, however, have a great sense of humour. If you read my last post about the smelly cheese, you will see that I wrote it for her. What I didn't know is that it was a set up. This past Saturday I was bridesmaid for a dear friend and I had heard that the best man was digging up dirt for the toast to the wedding party. I had been so confident that no-one could find anything on me (as most of my embarrassing stories seem to happen outside that circle of friends). I was wrong.

I stood up to receive my toast, smiling in my blue dress and heels. My stomach was already aching from the three previous speeches, but still, I remained poised. Not even my ex boyfriend (the brother of the bride) could be convinced to give up a story or two. I was going to have it easy. Secretly, deep down, I was a little disappointed. I didn't want to be the only one not to be mocked for fun!

I needn't have worried.

The best man started his speech, "She believes I have no dirt on her," and promptly started in with a tale of how, one day, I went to the doctor to have my back checked out... (for any new readers, please check out the post right before this one... I swear it's worth the time).

At this point in the speech, I knew what was coming... "Nooooooo!" could be heard throughout the banquet room as this realization hit me. I laughed until I nearly cried. The best man, did a lovely job, I thought, though the wording seemed awfully familiar to me. A second realization smacked me between the eyes about half way through the story (right around the part where the doctor cannot form normal speech): the rendition was more than familiar, it was what I had written for my own mother!

She not only gave up some goods on me, she devised a way that I, myself, offered them up without the slightest hesitation. Well done, Mom! I didn't think the smelly cheese story could get any better, but I was wrong.

No comments: